Friday, February 3, 2012

Paul And Popeye



In Acts 28, the Apostle Paul is under house arrest.  Yet Paul gains a hearing with more of his Jewish detractors than expected.  Why Acts 28:23 tells us, Paul’s detractors “…came in even larger numbers [than expected] to the place where he was [imprisoned]…”  (Acts 28:23)  But there’s more. “…Some were [even] convinced [of the truth of Jesus]…” (Acts 28:24).  But the next verse is key.  “…Others [however] would not believe. They disagreed…and began to leave…” (Acts 28:25).   

The lesson:  conviction, boldness is not ultimately dependent on whether others share our beliefs.  Persons will leave.  Conviction, boldness is dependant on only one thing: a personal confidence, a personal assurance, a personal conviction – that Christ is the Messiah.


Outside the bible and church history, the ultimate picture of personal conviction for me is none other than:  Popeye the Sailor Man!!  Does anyone remember Popeye?   I mean Popeye was constantly under attack by his detractors, chief of whom was the evil Bluto.  But Popeye persevered – Popeye stayed true – Popeye stayed bold – because Popeye reached deep, claiming an inner identity of virtue and not vice.   Popeye’s ability to reach deep was evident in lots of ways, but most prominently when he shared his signature philosophy.  Facing Bluto, or any body else who tried to shake him, Popeye declared: “I yam what I yam, and that’s all that I yam!”   Friends:  we’re to make a similar declaration:  “I yam what I yam, and that’s all I yam!”  But not in isolation, but in relation to Christ!  ‘I yam what I yam in Jesus – and that’s all I yam!” 

It’s fascinating to see Paul making this declaration in 1 Corinthians 15 – “I am what I am [because of the grace of God, in Christ]” – Paul notes – “…and his grace toward me has not been in vain…”  (I Corinthians 15:10).  

It’s critical we claim this personal conviction.  For Christianity will never be a majority movement; there will always be a fundamental clash between the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of the World.  

Recently I found a listing of contrasts between the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of the World.  For example:  The Kingdom of God says:  blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.  The Kingdom of the World says:  blessed are those who hunger and thirst for money, sex and power.  The Kingdom of God says:  blessed are the merciful; blessed are the peacemakers.  The Kingdom of the World says:  blessed are the aggressive, those who ‘settle the score,’ ‘fighting fire with fire.’ The Kingdom of God says: blessed are those who give their life away sacrificially.  The Kingdom of the World says:  blessed are those who look out for ‘number one,’ who realize, it’s ‘every man for himself,’ ‘me, myself, and I.” 

Be bold.  Clash with the world!   Reach deep and know the calling of God’s Kingdom.  Claim your identity in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment