Monday, June 10, 2013

It's Him Again


Recently Rich Mouw preached a memorable chapel address at Fuller Theological Seminary.  As Rich did, he pounded home a central theme:  no matter the battle, God is at work.  Oh, we doubt it, but God is at work; I mean in every instance of life, God shows up.  Oh at first we’re surprised, but then awe-struck, as we realize -- it’s Him again! 

I know that to be true in my own life.   I mean in my 20s I got real cynical, thinking I’d never fall in love again.  But then I met my wife Robin. And I realized -- it’s Him again!.  In my 30’s I got real angry after losing my mother.  But then my career blasted off and my kids began to flourish.  And I realized -- it’s Him again!  In my 50’s I got real afraid as my hair got prematurally gray, and I started to feel old.  But then I went to McDonalds, and they didn’t offer me senior coffee.  And I realized -- it’s Him again!  And in my early sixties, well I’m not sure what the future holds; frankly I still have cynical, angry, fearful days.  But I sense right around the corner there’s another day when I’ll realize, when I’ll know, that I know, that I know – it’s Him again!  [inspired by Rich Mouw’s sermon:  Ebenezer -- http://www.fuller.edu/About-Fuller/News-and-Events/News/2013/President-Richard-Mouw-Points-to-the-Work-of-God-at-Final-Chapel-of-the-Year.aspx]

I'm confidant:  right around the corner is another day for you -- when you’ll know, that you know, that you know --  it’s Him again!  For past performance is the best indicator of future performance.  As God came through in the past – God will come through in the future. For in the end, the one true God does deliver.   
           
Believe the one true God does deliver.  For ultimately “…the battle is not [ours] but [His]…” (2 Chronicles 20:15). And so “go out [and] face [whatever you have to face]” God declares. For “…I will be with you…” (2 Chronicles 20:17).  Believe God will be with you! “[Fix on him] and he will make [straight your] paths…” (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Fix on God.  Listen:  we're all going to have cynical, angry, fearful days; bad days, doubtful days.  But who cares, for in the end, our God always comes through.  For our God, in the words of Mark Batterson, is a  JEJIT God: just enough, just in time! 

And so, right around the corner is another day for you.  A day when you’ll be surprised -- a day when you’ll be awe-struck – a day when you’ll realize – when you’ll know, that you know, that you know -- it’s Him again!

No comments:

Post a Comment