Monday, August 5, 2013

Golgotha And Gehenna

 

I love it when I discover truth, not realized before.

Recently it was in the area of biblical geography.  Until a few weeks ago it never dawned on me that the site of the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus -- Golgotha -- was right across the valley (the Kidron Valley), within eyesight of -- Gehenna -- Jerusalem’s garbage dump.    

I don’t think that was a coincidence.   

For the whole reason for Golgotha -- for the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus – was to save life -- your life -- from Gehenna, the garbage, the waste, the futility of life.   

And so realize: Jesus wants to save life -- your life -- from the waste and futility of life.  

Surrender to Jesus, allowing Jesus to create space for righteous and rest -- for redemption and resurrection – lifting your life, as you rely on what Christ has done, rather than thinking 'it all depends on you,' killing yourself to do, do, more. 

For 'killing yourself' to do more -- thinking 'it all depends on you' -- results in a futile, wasted life! 

But why have waste, when you can have worth -- 'taking in’ the redeeming love...the resurrection power...the surpassing greatness, of Jesus! 

And so with the Apostle Paul declare: "...I look upon everything as loss compared with the overwhelming gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...everything [else is] useless rubbish compared with...Christ.  How changed are my ambitions!  Now I long to know Christ and the power shown by his resurrection...grasping ever more firmly that purpose for which Christ grasped me..."  (Philippians 3:8;10;13). Phillips)               

2 comments:

  1. My dad visited the Holy land & he called the Kidran Valley the Valley of Decision (Joel 3:14) and explained that everyone will spiritual stand in that place & choose which direction they will go. To Goloatha and follow Jesus or to Gehenna into everlasting destruction. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete