Monday, September 16, 2013

"If" ?? -- Or -- "Yes" !!



Boy is it easy to get stuck in the “ifs” of life.

In Mark 9 a father desperately wants his boy  healed from convulsions caused by an evil spirit.   You see, the dad notes to Jesus, my boy has been this way “…from childhood… [and the convulsions have] often thrown him into fire or water to kill him.  But if you can do anything [Jesus] -- take pity on us and help us…”  (Mark 9:22).  And with that Jesus gets ticked-- real ticked!  If? -- “If you can?” Jesus exhorts.  [If Jesus can?]  [Listen] everything is possible for him who believes…!”  in Me (Mark 9:23, emphasis added).   

Jesus is still getting ticked.  Why?  Because we’re still droning:  if you can.”  But there’s an alternative:  we can declare:  yes you can!”  Yes you can Jesus!   Oh, I’m still anxious and scared – but “yes you can Jesus.”  Oh, I still have my “ups and downs” – but “yes you can Jesus.”  Oh I still even have uncertainty and doubt – but I’m not getting stuck in uncertainty and doubt.  Yes you can Jesus!  Yes you can Jesus!

It's incredible what happens when we declare: “yes you can Jesus.”  Why Jesus moves us through doubt, in spite of doubt, healing our most disconcerting, depressing, despairing realities.

In July, Rick and Kay Warren returned to the pulpit of Rick’s church, Saddleback Church, to speak of their wrenching, unspeakable loss.   First, Rick noted:  “…you [will] have fears, you [will] have worries, you [will] have doubts…”  And yes, you will ask “why”:  But the critical question isn’t “why” – the critical question is “what do I do” when there’s no answer to “why.” And so Rick concluded: doubt, pain: they’re never “…relieved by explanations…only the presence of God.  Steven Curtis Chapman echoes such truth in lyrics written after the tragic death of  his child: “I've walked the valley of death's shadow -- so deep and dark that I could barely breathe. -- I've had to let go of more than I could bear -- and I've questioned everything that I believe. -- Still even here in this great darkness -- a comfort and a hope comes breaking through -- as I can say in life or death -- God we belong to you”

Yes:  God we belong to you!  In good times and in bad times -- in up times and in down times -- in confidant times and doubting times – God we belong to you!   And so uncertainty need not have the last word, God can have the last Word, through His abiding wisdom, presence and grace.

And so don’t drone:  Lord “if you can.”  Rather, declare: Lord “yes you can!”  For everything is possible if we believe in God, as we seek the Almighty more than answers, a Savior more than a solution.  

Seek the Almighty more than answers, a Savior more than a solution  -- for Steven Curtis Chapman is right:  "Still even here in this great darkness -- a comfort and a hope comes breaking through -- as I can say in life or death -- God we belong to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment