Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The 'Weird' Way Of Jesus


Lets just say it: Christ’s cause can appear strange, even weird, because Jesus’ definition of success is so different from our definition of success.

As I was leaving my first pastorate in Baltimore I asked for a meeting to evaluate my ministry; in other words to identify the outcomes from my six year ministry at the church.  Well I was fired up, because I thought I had ‘done good.’   Why we had paid off the church’s mortgage – we had doubled the worship attendance -- we. had revitalized the Sunday School – and on top of that, and most importantly – the members of the ladies guild thought I was cute, and walked on water!  But as we entered into the evaluation meeting, none of those things were mentioned.  Why every positive outcome was in a category other than a category I thought was important.

One sharing was especially memorable.  “You know what your greatest moment was for us Paul” one family declared.  “It was when you agreed to travel with us in our crowded, rickety van from Baltimore, MD to Petersburg, W.VA. -- an eight hour round trip -- to do a five minute graveside service for our grandmother.  That’s what touched us Paul.”  “Darn it, I said to myself; you’ve got to be kidding: it wasn’t my great preaching?!”   Apparently not; why it was my great presence, my availability – giving my time to what appeared to be a waste of time.

But that outcome is so like Jesus, for Jesus ‘turns everything upside down,’ valuing what the world does not value, utilizing what society considers a waste.   And so look very carefully at where you’re investing your time, talent and treasure; scrutinize very prayerfully where you’re sacrificing your life, giving your all.

For it’s true:  only what’s done Jesus' way, according to His other way of living, has impact, and lasts!   And so with Paul we declare:  I “…have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I…live…I live by faith in the Son of God -- who loved me and gave himself for me.”  (Galatians 2:20, ESV).  

Years ago, St. Patrick sought to summarize such total surrender to Jesus and His other way of living; he did so through a prayer known as the ‘The Breastplate Of St. Patrick:  “…Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise…” – St. Patrick    

Not a bad prayer to pray, as we seek to saturate life with Jesus and His 'weird,' but wise way of life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment