Monday, September 22, 2014

Run!


It's interesting: the writer of Hebrews offers a straightforward description of the Christian race: “…throw off everything that hinders… [run] with perseverance the race marked out for [you]… [fixing your] eyes on Jesus… [who alone] is the perfecter of our faith”  (Hebrews 12:1-2). 

I’m especially struck by the phrase:  run the race marked out for you.  You see a big obstacle to spiritual growth is the belief spiritual growth is dependent on a narrow band of spiritual disciplines.  I mean for years I believed that because I’m not a morning person, craving morning prayer, I would not grow spiritually because Jesus was a morning person, craving morning prayer.

Now I must always crave Jesus; that’s a boundary.  But it’s not required that I crave morning prayer.  Rather, I must run the race marked out for me, craving spiritual disciplines that match my unique temperament and gifts.  

In general, spiritual disciplines, in the opinion of Dallas Willard, can be grouped in two categories:  disciplines of engagement and disciplines of abstinence.  Disciplines of engagement are disciplines helping us encounter that which is of God – disciplines like worship, study, fellowship, prayer or giving.  Disciplines of abstinence are disciplines helping us withdraw from that which is not of God -- disciplines like fasting, solitude, confession or halting a bad habit.   The crucial thing is not what discipline of engagement or abstinence we practice, but that we practice some discipline of engagement and abstinence. 

And so a blunt a question:  are you both engaging and abstaining in your race of faith -- are you both encountering Godly things and withdrawing from ungodly things?  I’d like to say that spiritual growth is a quick sprint, with a quick fix.  But it’s not:  rather it is a marathon of both engaging and abstaining, over time, keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus – who will, over time -- His Time -- perfect our faith.

A few years ago, I heard Bono, the famed rock star speak at the National Prayer Breakfast.  Frankly Bono’s growth story is one of the most remarkable Christian growth stories.  I mean at one time Bono was just a rock star, committed to just that lifestyle.  But now Bono has met Jesus, is born again and is justified in the Lord. But now also, Bono is striving for sanctification, growth in the Lord.  But Bono admits sanctification is a hard, time-consuming process.   

Why think about it, Bono reflects:  “Your nature is a hard thing to change; it takes time…I have heard of people who have life-changing, miraculous turnarounds, people set free from addiction after a single prayer, relationships saved where both parties "let go, and let God." But it was not like that for me. [I mean yes] "I was lost [and] I [now I] am found" – [but it’s]…more accurate to say "I was really lost. [And now] I'm a little less [lost]… [becoming a little less lost, everyday]… [Now] that to me is the spiritual life. The slow reworking and rebooting [of my inner] “computer” at regular intervals… [slowly rebuilding me into] a better image -- [God’s image].  [Now frankly, it’s] taken years [lots of years, to arrive at this point]… [but I’m guessing] -- it is not over yet.”

Bono's right:  it's  not over yet!  Though our salvation in Christ is sealed, we are justified – our sanctification in Christ – our growth toward the fullness of the stature of Jesus continues.   Once you were really lost, now you’re a little less lost -- becoming a little less lost every day. 

So keep growing, keep running your race, the race marked out for you – fixing your eyes on Jesus.  For if you run your race fixed on Jesus -- Jesus will perfect your faith.    

Count on Jesus to perfect your faith – rewarding your difficult diligence, your cramps, blurriness and discord with His prize of deeper joy and meaning.  For one day, if you race with Jesus, you'll will shout Eureka; one day if you don’t give up, you'll  exclaim aha – as the pieces of faith finally fall together.  And you'll know, that you know, that you know -- that Jesus is Life, because Jesus is Lord.    

Jesus is Life, because Jesus is Lord.  Fix your faith on that hope, and then run for it – knowing your preparation and practice, your diligence and discipline, your trials and training, are not in vain!

1 comment: