Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Will God Come Through, In the End?


A few reflections on the 'final transition' -- our transport, from earth to eternity.

But first:  a confession.  I hate transitions!  

And for good reason:  many of my worst moments have occurred, as I’ve shifted from a known, established routine, into an unknown, untested regiment.  True, life evened out, in many respects after my transitions, but the pain and 'hell of it all,' makes me dubious -- especially in regards -- to the ‘final transition' -- the end of my earthly days.  

Thus, ‘I have my doubts’ about my life ‘in the end,’ questioning: will God really come through, for me? 

Such questioning surprises some, as it smacks of scurrilous doubt, even blasphemy. But such inquiry is vital, for without unvarnished candor we cannot have a clear, authentic, connection with God.  David illustrates this throughout his lifespan, most demonstrative in the Psalms; Psalms 22 is illustrative:
“Powerful bulls…are everywhere. My enemies are like lions roaring and attacking with jaws open wide. I have no more strength than a few drops of water.  All my bones are out of joint; my heart is like melted wax. My strength has dried up like a broken clay pot, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. You, God, have left me to die in the dirt.  (Psalm 22:  12-15, CEV, emphasis added).
Not exactly ‘a happy ending’ to the time of our life, but reflective of how many of us honestly feel, at varied moments and crossroads.

Yet, in spite of such pessimism and chagrin, God constantly rebuttals.   You would think God would exit in disgust, as He encounters our disgust.  Rather, God keeps entering our seething emotion, eager to persuade us, that He, indeed, is faithful, fully able to advance our life through ‘the final transition,’ with glorious results.   Prophet Isaiah gives voice to the sentiments of such a relentless, Heavenly Patriarch.
“Think about this. Wrap your minds around it. This is serious business, rebels. Take it to heart.  Remember your history, your long and rich history. I am God, the only God you’ve had or ever will have— incomparable, irreplaceable—From the very beginning telling you what the ending will be, All along letting you in on what is going to happen, Assuring you, ‘I’m in this for the long haul, I’ll do exactly what I set out to do’…I’ve said it, and I’ll most certainly do it. I’ve planned it, so it’s as good as done.  (Isaiah 46:8-11, The Message, emphasis added.)
And so in spite of our doubts, the best is yet to come, not because of our sentiments, but the Sentiment of God who truly does major in new creation (Revelation 21:1-6), amplifying His Divine plan, nevertheless.  For yes, sin eats and erodes – grief punctures and lacerates – failure humiliates and deadens – rejection bruises and wounds.  But – nevertheless -- God reworks, renews, repurposes, redeems -- making all things new -- thus, advancing the longevity and wonder of life -- both today, and forever more.

In August, famed crooner, Tony Bennett celebrated his 90th birthday.  Not surprisingly, the celebrations were many, lasting well into the end of this year.  And for good reason:  persons are in awe of the longevity of this entertainer’s life, knowing the travail of his life, including two divorces, a bout with alcohol and drug addiction, along with a stalled career, lasting twenty years at one point.  

Yet, Bennett kept advancing, nevertheless, continuing to punctuate his vocabulary with signature words such as:  “…Great, Wow and Fantastic, the last of which he proclaims with a strong punch to the second syllable…” Such verbiage wells out of Bennett’s signature song:  “The Best Is Yet To Come,” which brings Bennett’s audiences to their feet in a sustained, standing ovation, astonished that a 90-year-old man could still be that positive and forward looking.  But Tony Bennett is.  As his, son Danny, observed:  “Tony’s all about moving forward…”  For as Tony himself observes:  “…I still insist that I can get better as I go along…” (Both Quotes From:  John Marchese.  "Tony Bennett At 90:  I Just Love What I am Doing." The New York Times, December 14, 2016) 

God insists that we can get better as we go along.  Thus, God keeps moving us forward, in Christ.   Of course, we must allow Him to grant access and validate transport for the journey, but if we do, we ‘end up’ on the ‘ride of our life,’ soaring toward ongoing expressions of abundant life.

I still find this hard to believe.  But, I don’t want to risk the ‘time of my life’ – by shunning what could be -- ‘the ride of my life.’    For Arthur John Gossip’s words, ‘toss and turn’ inside me:  
“I do not understand this life of ours.  But still less can I comprehend how people in trouble and loss…can fling away peevishly from the Christian faith.  In God’s name, fling to what?  Have we not lost enough without losing that too?
So rebel, that I am, I risk with Isaiah, latching my time and life, to an ancient-future promise:

“Remember your history…I am God, the only God you’ve had or ever will have...From the very beginning telling you what the ending will be, All along letting you in on what is going to happen…I’ve planned it, so it’s as good as done.  (Isaiah 46:8-11, The Message) 

No comments:

Post a Comment