Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Ruth's Letters


I didn't expect to find them in Cherry Hill, NJ.

I'm referring to a binder of Ruth's letters, as in Robin's mom, Ruth Risser (now, with the Lord).  But there they were, on the coffee table, in a well-tendered binder. 

Neat. Crisp. Ready to be entered into...again.

On second thought, I shouldn't have been surprised.  After all, I was at Robin's aunt's house, Aunt Etta's house, in Cherry Hill, NJ -- and Etta is Ruth's sister.

What I didn't know is that Etta had saved every one of Ruth's handwritten letters.

As I thumbed through those letters, I was awestruck -- but then became teary. For Robin's mom had chronicled for her two sisters and brother-in-law, every significant moment of her life, the life of her husband John, along with the life of her kids and grandkids.   

I mean, in Ruth's letters, there's a record of our kids first-steps -- Robin's various employment treks (complete with Robin's resume attached, just in case family had leads) -- weather reports -- profiles of birthdays and holidays -- a health digest of flu-bouts, stuffy noses, signs of improvement -- comments on current events -- and always, an upbeat word of hope and faith.

But here's the rub:  Ruth was, for all practical purposes, legally blind when she wrote many of her letters.  

Really.  I mean when she writes above (see letter above) 
"...Let's give it a try and see what happens.  Everything looks fuzzy, unclear, and out of focus...?!"  -- Ruth meant that literally.  
Yet ironically, Ruth's words/letters -- and the incredible, wide-ranging love they conveyed  -- kept our family in focus.  For beyond the letters Ruth wrote to her sisters and brother in law, were the countless letters she wrote to us, that continually encouraged us, centered us, fed us, during the peaks and valleys of our days, months, and years.

And so I got 'ambushed' in Cherry Hill, NJ.  For lately, I have been all 'gummed up' in the supposed 'lack' in my life.  The details aren't important, but I've been having a large 'pity party' for 'me, myself, and I' lately -- dissatisfied with aspects, of my present circumstance.

And then I rediscovered Ruth's letters and saw through her fuzzy eyes, what's really paramount and crucial.  

What's paramount, what's crucial? 

  • Relationships -- Everything else ends up at Goodwill, Craigs List, or at the 'dump' (e.g. landfill).  But your family, friends, and colleagues have 'staying power,' impacting your life for a lifetime, and beyond.  So, prioritize people, not possessions, especially, during this holiday season.
  • 'The Personal Touch' -- In a day of text messages, e-mails, and Facebook posts, a hand-written note, card, or letter has an amazing impact.  Why? Because it actually takes time to write a note, card or letter.  And when a person takes time for you, it touches and shapes your life, for good.  So 'take time' for someone (through a hand-written note/card/letter, or some other means) going beyond the press of a key, or the 'send' of a text.  
  • Being Attentive -- As I perused Ruth's letters I was amazed at her ability to notice the details of life, no matter how minute or mundane.  It was if, Ruth, lived life, not through big, flashy moments, but through the everyday wonder of God's simple pleasures and opportunities.  So rediscover the detail of life, re-learning its dignity and delight. 
  • God's Faithfulness -- In spite of encroaching blindness, Ruth seldom lost sight of God.  Sure, she had down days, when, as she put it, she wanted to 'run away.'  But consistently, she returned to the Lord.  For running through all of Ruth's letters is a sense of abiding hope, beyond circumstance.  So, sense abiding hope, beyond your circumstance, reclaiming:  "...Great is Thy faithfulness,” O God my Father, There is no shadow of turning with Thee; Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not. As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be..."

In keeping with Ruth's discipline, it's important to recall the centrality of letter-writing in scripture. Though the origin of the Old Testament is largely oral tradition, the bulk of the New Testament is correspondence, the letters of Paul and Peter.  All total, there are 15 letters traditionally attributed to these two early church leaders, though scholars now dispute the connection of Paul and Peter to some of the correspondence, 'named' for them.  

But the authors of the New Testament letters are not the 'hinge point,' rather its the content and tone of the New Testament letters: a relational, personal, attentive, 'God is faithful' tone, just like Ruth's letters.  

A sampling of New Testament correspondence follows:  

  • "...See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hands....The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers..."  (Galatians 6:11;18)
  • "...After this letter has been read to you, see that it also read in the church of the Laodiceans and that you, in turn, read the letter from Laodicea.  Tell Archippus:  'See to it that you complete the work you have received from the Lord.'  I Paul, write this greeting in my own hand.  Remember my chains.  Grace be with you."  (Colossians 4:16-18) 
  • "...Greet Priscilla and Aquila and the household of Onesiphorus.  Erastus stayed in Corinth, and I left Trophimus sick in Miletus.  Do you best to get here before winter.  Eubulus greets you, and so do Puden, Linus, Claudia, and all the brothers.  The Lord be with your spirit.  Grace be with you..."  (2 Timothy 4:19-22)
  • "...May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through.  May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it..."  (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) 

And so, without being consciously aware, Ruth was carrying on a long tradition among Christ-followers:  accenting God's Gospel of unfailing love, amid the sorted detail and 'ordinary' persons of life, through personal penmanship.  Sure, there is the letter to the church in Rome, chock-full of lofty thought, and depth.  But even that theological masterpiece, returns to the personal, the detail, as it ends:  
"...Erastus, who is the city's director of public works, and our brother Quartus send you their greetings..."  (Romans 16:23).
And so, pursue the 'full freight' of life, following your dream, furthering your career, 'stocking' your bank account.  But in the process, take time to compose a letter (e.g. note, card) or two.  Beyond a quick e-mail or rapid text -- actually 'take your time' for someone -- actually writing to them -- pouring out the heart and detail of your life.

I've moved more in this direction, lately.  But it's ironic: I have the worst handwriting ever (unlike Ruth).  In fact, often folks tell me they can't even read what I write!

But they also tell me: it doesn't make any difference.  Because though they can't decipher my script -- they can read my intent -- and my intent is clear: I care.

And that, folks, tell me -- is what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment