Wednesday, September 19, 2018

When You Need A Little T.LC.


A great thing happened to our family a while back!  The gravestone of my mother’s great, great, great grandfather Overton C. Harne was rededicated in Rose Hill Cemetery, in Hagerstown.  

Now in the course of the rededication, new information about the Harne family was disclosed, some of it surprising.  For example, did you know the Harnes -- members of my family -- helped establish the first English settlement in Jamestown -- along with saving the city of Baltimore during the War of 1812!  

But most interesting was the listing shared -- of occupations -- carried out by Harnes -- over the years.  First the good news: there are no horse thieves or ax murderers.  But I did learn, in our family: is a competitive roller skater, an illustrious actress, a zoologist, a microbiologist -- and get this, not only a cowboy -- but a rodeo cowboy!  

But most fascinating is the Minnesota Harne who is a surgeon.  Why recently this family member made history by reattaching the arm of a young boy, who thought he’d lost his arm, forever. Now that made me proud!  Why its one thing to have a cowboy in the family, but it’s another thing to have a model of compassion -- as well.  

In the 23rd Psalm we find a model of compassion.  You remember the words:
"...The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in        green pastures He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever..." (Psalm 23, ESV)
Yes, there are cowboys in scripture.  But here we find a picture of caring – centered in a caring god.  For the God of the 23rd Psalm isn’t just any God. The God of the 23rd Psalm is a caring God, a compassionate God who reattaches life when all seems lost. 

Where do you feel lost; where do you feel wounded…weary?  Come along now -- and encounter with me -- this God who reattaches and reunites life.

For “the Lord is my shepherd…”  (Psalm 23:1) The Psalmist sings.   Yes sings! You see originally the 23rd Psalm was not spoken, but sung as a part of Hebrew worship.  It still is in many Jewish synagogues as a part of the third Shabbat meal on Saturday afternoon.  

But beyond Hebrew worship, the 23rd Psalm occupies other musical expressions.  For example, the 23rd Psalm is a part of the repertoire of Franz Schubert, Leonard Bernstein, Duke Ellington, Ralph Vaughan Williams and even the Eagles in their album  Long Road Out of Eden 2007.    

But why; why is the 23rd Psalm so popular?  Because each of us secretly longs to be led by someone who is both strong and compassionate; who is both Lord and Shepherd.   

It’s interesting:  the Hebrews had a long history of leaders who were both strong and compassionate.  King David is a prime example.  Why in 2 Samuel 5:2 “All the tribes of Israel came to David...‘We are your own flesh and blood.’” – they declare.  “‘In the past, Saul was king over us… [But now]…the Lord said to you, ‘You will shepherd my people Israel -- and you will become their ruler…” (2 Samuel 5:1-2). 

As shepherd-ruler, God, in Christ is decisive but full of mercy.  But that's hard to comprehend since so many authority figures don't extend mercy; they extend judgment, even revenge!  There’s a great story about a woman who went to court to fight a traffic violation. Well in the course of appearing before the judge, the woman was required to declare her occupation.  “Why I’m a school teacher,” the woman proudly said.  And with that, the judge rose from his bench, and flashed the biggest grin you’ve ever seen!  “Madam,” the judge declared.  “I have waited 40 years for a school teacher to appear before my court; 40 long years! “Now I want you to grab a chair -- sit at that table -- and write:  ‘I will never pass through a red light, again’ – five hundred times!!!”  

Yes, some authority figures minimize mercy.  But the ultimate authority figure – the Good Shepherd -- majors in mercy!   In fact, as Jesus appears to His disciples in Luke 24, Jesus clarifies that the primary reason for His entire ministry, is so that “….repentance and forgiveness of sins [could be] preached in His name…”  (Luke 24:46-47).  

It’s amazing to see the impact of that kind of divine, strong, compassionate, shepherd-ruler. Why, the 23rd Psalm goes on to tell us, that with such a leader, such a God -- “I shall not…want.  [Why? Because] He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside quiet waters.”  (Psalm 23:1-2).  The Amplified Bible is even more graphic.  Why with such a leader, such a God, I lack nothing.  Why?  Because 
“…he makes me lie down in fresh, tender…pastures.  He leads me beside the…restful waters…”  (Psalm 23:1-2, The Amplified Bible).   
Anybody need tender pastures… restful waters?

The desert fathers were spiritual leaders in the early church.  Among other things they believed everyone carries a bag through life and at the bottom of the bag, is one of three things:

  • Anxiety -- a rolling worry I’m not good or competent enough.  
  • Fear -- a sense that everything’s destined to fall apart.  
  • Anger -- a simmering resentment things just aren’t what they ought to be.   

But the desert fathers also believed, the things at the bottom of our bag aren’t the only things.  

There are also things from God, that can replace the anxiety, fear and anger of life.

The 23rd Psalm echoes this belief.  Why, the psalmist goes on to sing: our confident leader, our compassionate leader, our God – “…restores my soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness.”  (Psalm 23:3).    

The image of restoration is an especially powerful, suggesting that God is eager to replace the fatigue…the decay…the sin…the erosion of life – with new options for vigor and holiness.

The Zeigarnik Effect is the tendency of the brain to remember regret and loss longer than gain.   But praise God, because of Jesus we need not be captive to the Zeigarnik Effect – we can be captive to the Jesus Revolution, which rocks with a living hope, ongoing and fresh, rolling away the weight of our lives.

Life in Christ is all about rolling away the weight of our lives, multiplying new options for vigor and holiness. 

It’s a chance to replace the old stuff at the bottom of the bag, with the new stuff of God.  For in Christ, we hold the very option of God.  

And so, even though we walk through the very valley of the shadow of death -- we don't fear -- for God's very rod and staff -- they comfort.  Oil is available to anoint (Psalm 23:4-5). 

Leonard Sweet refers to such a God as the doom-slayer.  

  • To those who feel doomed by low endurance, the doom-slayer says: “[You] can do everything through [Christ] who gives [you] strength” Philippians 4:13.  
  • To those who feel doomed by piercing sin, the doom-slayer says: “In repentance and rest is your salvation.” Isaiah 30:15. 
  • To those who feel doomed by never-ending pain, the doom-slayer says: “And [lo] I am with you, always, to the very end of the age” -- Matthew 28:20.

Do you sense the God who is with you always, even in our most vulnerable moments of life?  

You should for the 23rd Psalm concludes, we rediscover a God who...
...[serves] me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies...[Who revives] my           drooping head; [thus] my cup brims with blessing. [And] your beauty and love chase after every day of my life.  [For] I'm back home...[with] God for the rest of my life.(Psalm 23:5+6, The Message, adapted)                    
Mel Watts tells of a couple who rushed to the hospital with an urgent need. Not surprisingly they were absolutely/positively scared -- looking ‘every which way’ for strength and comfort.  

Finally, they got desperate.  “Ma’am” – they said to a passing nurse.  “Do you ever pray for your patients?”  “Why yes, all the time.”   “Well please pray!”  “Why sure,” the nurse said.  Now for starters, remember:  “The Lord is in your hands.”  

“Didn’t you mean:  we are in the Lord’s hands?”  “Oh, there’s a time to believe that” the nurse clarified.  “But right now, you’ve got to believe the Lord is in your hands.”

Believe the Lord is in your hands!  That He is your shepherd – right within reach. 

An available God.  

A God who leads us – confidently -- toward fresh, tender pasture.  Who leads us compassionately toward restful, pure water.  Who hosts us, even the presence of enemies.  Who anoints us with holy oil.  Who fills our cup.  Who chases us with beauty and love.

All with one goal: to replace the old stuff at the bottom of our bag with new stuff.  

For we don’t have a cowboy God.  We have a caring God – who wants to reattach wounded life.

Who wants to offer a little T.L.C. -- restoring weary souls!

No comments:

Post a Comment