Tuesday, January 22, 2019

When I Am Weak, Then I Am Strong!


Have you ever been to Mt. Rushmore?  Pretty impressive – isn’t it!  Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, Roosevelt – the biggies of American history.  

But what if there was a biblical Mt. Rushmore? Who would be there?  

Well, one is obvious: Jesus; you better say, Jesus! But the next two are pretty apparent also:  Abraham, the father of not one, but three faiths.  And Moses – the deliverer of the Israelites from Egypt. But who would be, the last figure?

If I could vote, I’d vote for the Apostle Paul.   

And for a good reason: they’d be no Christian church. Why Paul, and his followers, planted all nine of the first Christian congregations, sparking the spread of Christianity, around the world!   

Yet Paul was a relatively weak man.  I mean this “biggie of biblical history," this “Mt. Rushmore-like figure” was not much to talk about.  Why in 2 Corinthians 10:10 Paul himself admits that 
“…some say ‘His letters are weighty and forceful -- but in person he is unimpressive, and his speaking amounts to nothing…”  (2 Corinthians 10:10).     
Yet this troubled man – triumphs!  In fact: at the end of 2 Corinthians 12 he notes: “…when I am weak -- then I am strong…” (2 Corinthians 12:10).  And in Philippians 4:13 he declares:  “I can do everything through him (through Christ) who gives me strength…” (Philippians 4:13).   

Amazing!   

But how does that happen?  How do you go from trouble to triumph?  Well, Paul’s life points the way.   First...

Abandon the Myth of a Painless Life  


You will never triumph if you believe there will be no trouble.  

For decades now, there’s been a movement called the prosperity gospel movement.  Essentially it teaches if you get Jesus, you get health, wealth, comfort; translated: you get out of trouble.  

But Paul teaches:  if you get Jesus – you get into more trouble.  Remember his litany in 2 Corinthians 12?  
“…five times I received…the forty lashes…three times I was stoned…three times I was shipwrecked…I have spent a night and a day in…open sea…I have been in danger from rivers…from bandits…from false brothers. I have labored and toiled…without sleep. I have known hunger and thirst…I have been cold and naked.”  (2 Corinthians 12:24-27).  
And you thought you had a bad week!!!  

But why...why the bad? Why is hardship a necessary part of the Christian life?  

For one reason:  there is no other way to grow.   

Once Parnell Bailey visited an orange grove where the trees were dying.  And for a good reason: the grove’s irrigation pump was broke. Visiting a neighboring grove, he found a similar problem -- but surprise, surprise: those trees were flourishing!  “Oh my trees could go another two weeks without water” – the owner remarked. “You see when they were young – I intentionally kept water from them.  And so my trees had no choice; they had to send their roots -- deeper and deeper and deeper -- to find moisture.  So now – they’re some of the deepest-rooted trees around!  Yes: other trees are dying.  But my trees are flourishing – because my trees – know where to find moisture -- at deeper levels!”

Do you know where to find moisture at deeper levels? The best things in life emerge from the worst things of life. 

It’s when we’re inconvenienced that we go deeper.

But triumph comes out of trouble in yet other ways.  To be precise: as we...

Conduct An Inner Inventory   


You see difficult times are soul-searching times.  In other words:  when failure, unemployment, sickness, heartache, comes -- we tend to question ourselves.  But that’s one of best things you’ll ever do!   Because self-examination leads to self-discovery of self-destructive patterns. Translated:  we all have bad habits – that produce – bad times.

One of my bad habits, years ago was packing too much for trips.  In other words:  for a five-day trip – I’d pack for ten days!  Well, that’s not a big deal, until you need to transport the baggage.  I remember sitting on a tiny runway somewhere in the Caribbean, with eight pieces of baggage, not counting my briefcase. One problem:  the puddle-jumper I was about to board – the tiny plane I was about to board -- barely had room for me!  “Senor!” the pilot said.  No, go – for you! No, go – for you!” And at that moment I did an inner inventory: “why did I bring so much baggage?!”

What’s your baggage? What are you carrying that you shouldn’t carry?  

Triumphant life happens as we discard baggage, as we discard bad habits, and let Christ reign!  

It’s interesting, in 2 Corinthians 12:9 Paul refers to Christ’s power “resting on him.” Literally, he’s referring to Christ’s power “taking up residence in him.”   

Isn’t that a great thought:  Christ taking up residence in you, in me!  But there’s a caveat:  Christ can’t take up residence if our lives are over packed with other stuff.  So do inventory -- clean house – discard what is not needed.  So Christ and His power can fill your being!   For we must...

Go Beyond Grit…To Grace  


Grit – willpower – stamina – determination -- are necessary in tough times.  But ultimately, our efforts are inadequate.  

It’s striking: God does not say to Paul in the midst of tough times: ‘buck-up’ – ‘be a man’ – muster more will power.  Rather he notes in 2 Corinthians 12:9:  “My grace is sufficient for you…”  The Amplified Bible brings this verse alive:  
“My grace – my favor and loving kindness…are enough for you -- [that is --sufficient against any danger -- enabling you, to bear the trouble manfully]. (2 Corinthians 12:9, The Amplified Bible).   
And you thought to be a man, to be a woman – you had to muster more grit.  No, God is saying: in troubled times, you need to receive more grace.  

What does it mean to receive more grace?  Essentially it means receiving the truth of three radical -- counter-intuitive – revolutionary statements:  

  • My Rescue Doesn’t Require My Perfection; 
  • God Is For Me -- Not Against Me.  Thus -- 
  • God Will Do For Me What I Cannot Do For Myself.  

If you repeat those three statements over and over and over again – you will receive more grace.  For as Luther notes:  
“[The whole idea of grace is] to Heal The…Sick -- Not to Decorate…Heroes.”
But the heroic will come. In fact – victory will come.  Because ultimately sorrow – will turn to joy... so...

Expect A Great Reversal!    


It’s interesting:  there are actually 6 other instances – beyond 2 Corinthians 11+12 -- where Paul lists his troubles (2 Corinthians 4:8-9; 6:4-10; Romans 8:35-39; 1 Corinthians 4:9-13; Philippians 4:11-12; 2 Timothy 3:11).  You know:  things like shipwrecks, persecutions, hunger.  But in each case – he goes out of his way to tell us -- that ultimately – troubles will be reversed!

The most dramatic “reversal language” is in 2 Corinthians 6.  
“As God’s workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain…for…in the Holy Spirit…in the power of God… [we are] dying…yet we live on.  [We are] beaten…yet [we are] not killed.  [We are] sorrowful, yet [still] rejoicing.  [We are] poor yet…rich.  [We have] nothing…yet [we possess] everything.”  (2 Corinthians 6:1-10).   
Isn't that incredible?  Yes, “rain falls on the just and unjust alike.”  Yes, trouble comes.  But ultimately trouble is reversed – by the wonder-working power of God.

The incubator for such reversal is familiar -- prayer. Want to go from weak, to strong? Then fall on your knees, and cry out to God.  

Frankly: I don’t know exactly how it works. All I know is that it works.  When you open your life, lay down your life, “go for broke” with your life, before a Holy God – a chemistry – a catalyst – a transformation -- occurs.

Yesterday was the annual national holiday, recognizing the birth of Martin Luther King. But, Martin Luther King wasn’t always Martin Luther King -- you know, the strong, confident civil right leader!  In fact, in January 1956 he was ready to give up.  And for a good reason:  death threats were all over his life.  But then one night in his kitchen he prayed.  Over a cup of coffee, he prayed.  "Lord I…confess, I’m weak now. Lord, I want to give up now. Lord, I don’t have anything left now."  But with that, King heard an inner voice.  “Martin,” the voice said.  “…I will be with you. So fight on!  For I promise to never leave you, never to leave you alone.  No never alone.  No never alone.  I promise never to leave you -- never to leave you alone!”  

And with that, King’s uncertainty lessened.

Where do you need uncertainty to lessen; where do you need trouble to fade? 

God has a similar message for you: aI promise to never leave you -- never to leave you alone.  No never alone.  No never alone.  I promise never, to leave you -- never to leave you alone!”

Paul knew that message.  That’s why he went from trouble to triumph! 

Yes, pain comes, Paul declares.  Yes, we must search our soul.  But beyond grit is grace.  Beyond trouble – is a great reversal, because of the power and companionship of God!

And you thought you had to be like a George Washington to be on God’s Mt. Rushmore! 

No, you need to be like a Paul. Who though, he was weak, became strong, through the power and companionship of God.  

Know the power and companionship of God!  

For God is not kidding. In your tough times:  I promise to never leave you.  

To never to leave you alone. No, never alone.  

No, never alone.  

I promise never to leave you.  

No, never to leave you...alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment