Monday, August 26, 2013

Giving Up, Slowing Down


 Wow, do I need to be in control!

That's especially true when life gets crazy!    I mean when life gets crazy, I tend to ‘take matters into my hands’ and race through the challenge and stress.  

But such compulsion is unwise.  For I might think "taking matters into my own hands" is doable and wise; but it's not.  For ultimately I never gain enough control to make an ultimate difference; only God can do that, for only God is Sovereign -- I'm not!.  

Thus, the best route through craziness is compliance, surrender to a Sovereign Creator who desires to direct, guide and orchestrate life.  As David notes, “…Every day of my life was recorded in [God’s] book. Every moment was laid out [according to God’s sovereign plan] before a single day had passed…” (Psalm 139:16, NLT).   

Translated: life is not to be lived from my playbook, but God’s playbook, for God is in control, we’re not!  Frankly, such truth is crucial, for as we fail to yield to God’s playbook -- an ultimate playbook -- life becomes futile, creating a “boat-load” of heart-ache and consequences!   

At times I struggle with yielding to an ultimate playbook.  Most recently it’s been in regard those ridiculously low speed limits related to the new crop of speed cameras popping up in most towns.  Have you noticed those speed cameras, those little silver (or tan or blue or green!) boxes that now dot our landscape!
   
Now please don’t misunderstand:  I’m not a speed demon!  But, on occasion, when life gets crazy -- I do ‘take matters into my own hands,’ and speed along anyhow! 

But have you noticed:  there’s no way you can beat a speed camera; I mean they get you every time, sending along the finest high resolution photos of your automobile and license plate, ever; I mean those photos are so good, they’re even suitable for framing! 
   
So I’ve decided just to give up, to slow down, to play by the ‘speed camera playbook,’ and stop taking matters into my own hands, even when life gets crazy!

For it’s impossible to beat God’s moral law, God’s sovereign rule and consequences.

For God is in control, we're not!

No comments:

Post a Comment