Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Justice, Or, Just Us?


The young woman's wail still rings in my ears.

I'm thinking of the homeless woman I encountered in Indianapolis recently, right outside the downtown hotel, where I was staying.

I forget the exact wording of her cardboard sign, but in essence, it announced that she was not only homeless, out of work, without food -- but pregnant.  When I saw her, others were hovered around, trying to assist, so I didn't stop.

But -- in all honesty, I did see her later in my Indy visit -- in the middle of a rain shower, no less -- and just passed her by.

There are varied reasons for my brush-by:  over-urgency to get to my next appointment -- a desire to get out of the rain -- a fear of what others would think.  But the main reason I didn't stop, is fear of getting 'sucked into' a vortex of aching need, from which I could not escape.

Translated:  I feared that I would get too involved -- perhaps for hours -- with no exit strategy, i.e. a sustainable, workable, cost-effective way to truly help the young woman in need.

Frankly, I think that's the reason a lot of us avoid the aching wound of the beaten down, oppressed,  'run-over,' folk, who increasingly surround us.

We don't really know what to do, that will really, help. 

A disclaimer:  I'm not denying that in some instances. needy folk could have done something for themselves to avoid their plight; often, there's an element of personal response-ability that's not been exercised, when people experience 'down and out' times.

But, with that said, I am increasingly convinced that the poor, the oppressed, the marginalized --  including the homeless (e.g. the woman I recently encountered) -- are the outcome of the injustice that riddles our societal system.

Translated:  I have opportunities and resources, that others don't have equal access to -- because of my status and positioning in the social system.

True, I did a lot, on my own, to get to where I am.  But...I also...started with a huge advantage given my family of origin, the neighborhood I grew up in, the money I had access to -- and frankly -- the faith, inspiration/encouragement, and resources of my church. 

But here's the bold, stark truth:  not everyone has access to such advantage.  

The result:  people are left-out -- people are poor -- people are marginalized -- people are oppressed -- largely, at no fault of their own.  

Thus, bottom line: a huge injustice is done, daily, monthly, yearly, to many, many, folks.  

And so, the Bible instructs, we are to help.  In fact, scripture is filled with passages, instructing us to reach out and aid, the poor and oppressed.   

In the Old Testament, the book of Proverbs is especially explicit:

  • "Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed." Proverbs 19:17 
  • "Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him."  Proverbs 14:31    
  • "Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse." Proverbs 28:27 

 In the New Testament, the words of Jesus in Matthew 25, are especially impactful: 
[And Jesus said] “…I was hungry and you gave me no meal, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was homeless and you gave me no bed, I was shivering and you gave me no clothes, Sick and in prison, and you never visited.’  Then [his disciples said]: ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or homeless or shivering or sick or in prison and didn’t help?’ “He will answer them, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you failed to do one of these things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed to do it to me.’  (Matthew 25:41-45, The Message, emphasis added)
The 'takeaway,' in the words of Ron Sider:  
“God's Word teaches a very hard, disturbing truth. Those who neglect the poor and the oppressed are really not God's people at all—no matter how frequently they practice their religious rituals nor how orthodox are their creeds and confessions.”

But here's the 'twist' in my approach:

I also believe that we are not God's people, if in our efforts to 'do justice' (Micah 6:8), we also do not lift-up the importance of justification to God, through Christ (Romans 3:24).  

Though it is often misrepresented as irresponsible (e.g. a pious escape from, indeed, working for justice and the alleviation of poverty) -- in reality - the greatest poverty is not physical poverty -- but poverty of soul (e.g. a lack of identity, purpose, significance, community, destiny), resulting from a lack of reconciliation with God (e.g. justification to God) and God's people.

Please do not misunderstand:  there is no excuse for not addressing physical, tangible, systemic justice/ poverty issues.

No excuse.

But it is my sincere conviction, that is there is also no excuse for not addressing the poverty that results when one is not in a relationship with God through Christ -- and -- God's people in Christ, the Church.

Sure, such advocacy can be/has been, done with coercion, pressure, and manipulation; for example, the infamous 'rice Christian' phenomenon is a sad testimony of God-sharing gone wrong.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_Christian

Yet, God-sharing can 'go right.'  I know, because at an improvised point in my life, a Christ-follower reached with the reach of God, and I gained.  In fact, I can honestly say, that a large part of my elevation in life, to the status, privilege, and justice I now know, is because of my relationship with God through Christ and His Church.

Years ago, missiologist Donald McGavan documented this truth, through a concept entitled, 'redemption and lift.'  In his research related to evangelism and church development on the mission field, McGavran  discovered: 
[That] when Christ comes in [people's lives] they become new creatures.  They repent and turn from their sins.  They gain victory over pride, greed, laziness, drink, hate, and envy...They educate their children.  They learn what God requires of them and worship regularly.  They become more effective human beings.  The fellowship of the church buoys them up.  Brothers and sisters in Christ gather at their bedsides to pray for them in sickness.  They hear the Bible and realize that God is for them and is available to them.  They realize they are children of God and began to act as such.  They begin to live for others.  Their community, in which many others have accepted Christ, becomes a better and better place to live.  All these aspects of redemption occur in imperfect measure, to be sure, but they do occur..."  [Donald McGavran.  Understanding Church Growth. Grand Rapids:  Eeerdmans, 1990, p. 210.] 
A while back,  sociologist Rodney Stark, came to a similar conclusion, detailed in his book, America's Blessings https://www.amazon.com/Americas-Blessings-Religion-Benefits-Including/dp/159947445X.   

Summarizing Starks finding, Simon Smart noted, that Stark discovered...
[That] on every measurable standard...[faith in God]...broadly leads to better physical and mental health, improved life-expectancy, better educational outcomes, higher levels of fertility and more harmonious families and communities. When exhibiting high levels of religious commitment [persons] are more likely to contribute both time and money to secular charities, gain access to better jobs, and be active in civic affairs. Contrary to the caricature of religious [persons] being ignorant and uncultured, Stark finds [such persons]...most likely to consume and support "high" culture and to be less prone to belief in occult and paranormal activity like UFOs, haunted houses and astrology. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-20/smart-count-your-blessings/4699644"
Bottom line,  in the words of George Wood, as he condenses Stark's findings: "...a person renewed by the gospel increasingly acts in a self-controlled and selfless manner rather than in a self-serving one, and this produces positive change in their material circumstances." (emphasis added). https://influencemagazine.com/practice/redemption-and-lift

And so, addressing material circumstances in a tangible, material way, must continue without apology, as a necessity. For we are to "...do justice..." (Micah 6:8).  No doubt.

But in addition, we are also to lift up the importance of justification with God (Romans 3:24) -- from whom all resources of identity, purpose, significance, community, and destiny -- ultimately flow.

Physical food and shelter are crucial, essential.  No doubt.  No excuse.

But spiritual 'food' (e.g. identity, purpose, significance, community, destiny) are critical -- providing final significance and meaning in life.

Thus, working for justice is full-orbed propositon -- calling us to address the whole person -- within the entire social system.

  • Feeding...
  • Clothing...
  • Sheltering...
  • Empowering...
  • Advocating...
  • Legislating...
  • Marching...

But in the final analysis -- also -- grounding...

...in the Creator of the Universe, and His Church -- Alive in Christ -- who began His earthly ministry by announcing:
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me (the Messiah), Because He has anointed Me to preach the good news to the poor. He has sent Me to announce release (pardon, forgiveness) to the captives,  And recovery of sight to the blind, To set free those who are oppressed (downtrodden, bruised, crushed by tragedy), to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord [the day when salvation and the favor of God abound greatly].” (Luke 4:18-19, The Amplified Bible, emphasis added)

May the salvation and favor of God abound greatly...

...as we work for a full-orbed justice -- and not -- just us!
     

2 comments:

  1. Brother Paul, I concur with you completely, having had early experiences in my life of negative proportions.
    You mentioned George Wood, as he condenses Stark's findings: "...a person renewed by the gospel increasingly acts in a self-controlled and selfless manner rather than in a self-serving one, and this produces positive change in their material circumstances."
    This comment mirrors, in large part, my early life which was challenged. Ostracized by classmates in school after our house burned down, depression set in when the children were cruel to me, through no fault of my own. Though Junior High School was encouraging academically, and enhanced even more by my Senior High experience,the negative treatments bestowed on me by many of my classmates was extremely depressing.
    Fortunately, the Church stood beside me every step of the way (or shall I say, "THE WAY")?
    Our pastor and my Sunday School teacher were very encouraging. Unlike my public school classmates, they seemed to sense when my life was challenged and answered with simple gifts such as listening, encouraging, and extolling my gifts as I matured. For two years in a row, my Sunday School teacher and her mother drove me and another girl to Annual Conference, one year in Iowa, and the other in New Jersey.
    Needless to say, both at conference and at church I felt the Spirit moving, as day after day, the Word was not only spoken, but lived out in the people's kind and thoughtful demeanor.
    Unlike school where I was ostracized, I felt loved and cherished as a child of God when I was at church. Sunday after Sunday, the church drilled into me the Love that God had, not only for me, but for all the people in our world, regardless of their cultures, their ethnicities, their wealth.
    Whereas, in school where I was demeaned, God's people were pedestals of Love, not only for me, but for thousands of people in other countries. The Church had a larger Vision, which to this day, transformed my life.
    The Church gave me hope. God's people showed me grace. They planted a dream in my soul. They prayed with my family on visits to our home. They did not let us fall by the wayside. Rather, they wrapped their loving arms around me and my family and walked us through the shadows. To this day, we can never thank the church enough.
    A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to visit my home church in Pennsylvania again. During their Sharing Time, I had to hold back the tears when I was thanking the people for all that their church did for me during a vulnerable time of my youth.
    Even though some had passed on, a remnant of the I knew was still present. Because of them, to this day, if challenged to do so, I would give my life for the church that did so much for me.
    Amen and Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So moving, Jeanne! Thank you for sharing part of your story. I am so very grateful!!

      Delete