Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Lies I Have Believed


Fake News.  Some claim, it's manufactured every day.  

I'm not in that 'camp,' at least in terms of the falsity of the mainstream media, in regards to the daily news (balance, from a variety of sources, is the secret to avoiding that phenomena).    

But I do believe there is fake news that is broadcast in general, about our very being and essence.  Specifically, I'm talking about the misinformation, distorted perspectives, and warped outlook -- e.g. fake news -- conveyed about what it truly means to live with fullness, abundance and meaning.

Part of that misinformation is the 'brand' we receive if we don't measure up to the world's standard of success.  In essence, we're labeled 'inadequate,' if we're not rich, beautiful and successful, categorized as a screw up, loser, and failure.  

Christine Cain travels the world addressing the topic of shame and the lies about self we often believe.  Frequently, in her presentations she includes a personal story, related to her daughter.   
"...Ever since my daughter Catherine Bobbie was born, my husband and I spoke words of life into her...So when Catherine Bobbie was 5 years of age, she got into a fight with a boy classmate, who ripped her teddy bear out of her hands that she was carrying, then looked at her and said. “Catherine Bobbie, you are dumb and you are ugly!” My daughter looked him in his eyes, and proudly replied, “No I am not, because my Daddy says I am intelligent and beautiful.”  So I want to remind you, no matter what lie the Enemy has told you, look at the Enemy and say, “No I am not!” My Daddy says I am the head and not the tail. I am a leader and not a follower. I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus..." https://enewhope.org/sermon/notes.php?id=W1625
Wise counsel, not only to Christine's daughter, but to each of us.  For the Enemy, the devil, is constantly telling us lies about our true nature -- causing great pain -- prompting us to soothe and treat that pain, in all the wrong ways.   Working too much.  Buying too much.  Eating too much.  Looking at wrong things.  Injecting wrong things.  Believing wrong things.

Beyond the global lie of Satan that I'm not good enough, smart enough, attractive enough, etc. -- I got to thinking:  what are the specific lies I've believed?  

I'll warn you:  some are very specific, unexpected, ouchy and controversial, but I trust, will get you/us thinking, nevertheless.  

Lie #1 -- There Are Persons Who Will Never Disappoint, Or Let Me Down.   For much of my life, I've tended to pedestal people.  Their specific names aren't important, but their categories of employment/vocation/relationship might help: friends, teachers, relatives, consultants, celebrities, doctors, colleagues...well you get the point.  

Just recently a pastor, who I've pedestaled for years, a man who impacted our family greatly, was rightfully accused, by a number of woman, of crossing sexual boundaries. Like most accused, he denied the charges vehemently, but the charges of the women are now documented, and it appears the pastor lied.   At first I was shocked and devastated.  But then, it occurred to me, that at some point everyone will let me down.

Everyone.  

I have no interest in becoming cynical or callous.  But I now believe, it is fool hearty for me to believe in the infallibility of any man or woman.  Now, granted, the decree of disappointment will vary from person to person; not everyone will turn out to be a flat-out liar.  But everyone, will, in some way, let us down.  Thus, with the Psalmist we affirm: 
"....When hard pressed, I cried to the Lord; he brought me into a spacious place. The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper…It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans. (Psalm 118:5-8).

Lie #2 -- I Can Escape And Leave My Family Of Origin.  I love my family, but I have tended to operate largely out of the 'orbit' of my family. Translated:  I have forged my life through other contacts and friendships.  


But recently, through my clinical training at Rutgers University in Bowen Family Systems Theory, I've discovered that you can never leave your family of origin.  So...the sooner you 'come to terms' -- and -- 'come to peace' with your parents, siblings and other relatives, the sooner you experience peace, in all its fullness, within your life. (for a short, but helpful summary of Bowen Family Systems Theory, access: https://thebowencenter.org/theory/eight-concepts/

A disclaimer:  I am not saying family is God; family is not supreme.  But part of the earthen vessel God chooses to place the treasure of life and faith is our family of origin.  Thus, our faith is impacted (though not ultimately determined) by the ongoing influence of our parents and significant others.

For example, my mother had a very punitive notion of God.  Thus, whenever I was misbehaving, and a thunderstorm popped-up (like recent storms in our area) my mom would say: "Don't forget Paul.  If you're not a good boy, God's going to get you!"

I'd like to say this sentiment has totally left me; it hasn't.  But I'm getting better, knowing that the origin of a punitive God 'in my head,' is not the Word of God -- but the word of my mother! 

And so where are more convicted by the word of a mom, dad, friend, or significant other -- and not the word of the Lord? 

Lie #3 -- I Can Eat Anything I Want And Never 'Pay' The Consequences.  I grew up loving to eat whatever, and a lot.  'A lot, of the a lot,' was not healthy.  Two examples: 1) the most dominant feature of our kitchen growing up was the deep-frier filled with lard, that my mother used on a reoccurring basis; 2) Not only did I eat Sugar Smacks every morning, I put a teaspoon of sugar or two on my Sugar Smacks every morning!!  It was not until I married Robin that I began to eat differently, adopting a more healthy path. 

A discovery:  eating habits are the hardest habits to break.  Why?  Because everything in our culture encourages us to eat unhealthy.  According to Dr. Edward Group, of the Global Healing Center, we live in a society...
"...where cheap is good and fast is better, [where] we’ve welcomed super-sized, low-cost fast food that has paved the way for a massive increase in the rate of obesity. In fact, the increased consumption of high calorie, low-nutrition food has spawned an obesity epidemic. According to the Journal of American Medicine, more than one-third (34.9%) of U.S. adults are obese. Approximately 17% (or 12.7 million) of children and adolescents aged two to nineteen years are obese..."  https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/how-culture-and-society-influence-healthy-eating/   
At my annual physical, my physician did an unusual thing:  he pulled out a clogged pipe from behind his desk. Without getting preachy he pointed to the calcification and said:  'this is what happens when we don't eat right.'  For years I said:  '...oh, that only happens to the other guy...'  But the benefit of being 65+ -- I dare not say that any more!  A clogged artery could happen to me.  And so I am eating salad instead of pizza.  No guarantee I won't contract heart disease.  But at least if I land in the emergency room, I'll know I didn't just 'blow off' my response-ability (for more detail on our resonse-ability see:http://wwwpaulmundey.blogspot.com/2016/08/how-to-care-for-rolls-royce.html 

For Paul is 'spot-on': 
"...Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Lie #4 -- Truth Is Found Only In My 'Camp,' My Opinion, And My Biases.  I tend to be highly opinionated.  Translated: 'I really know best, thank you!'  But increasingly, I am convinced that truth is not only found in my way and my dogma -- but in dialogue and community with a wide-range of thought-streams.

Moving in this direction is crucial not only for my future, but our future.  For we live in one of the most opinionated, 'siloed' eras in human history, resulting in a level of division and bifurcation that is paralyzing.

The way forward:  moving out of enclaves and meeting each other in places we'd normally never show up in.  Exhibit A:  Jimmy Carter's commencement speech, this Saturday, at Liberty University.  Why, Carter and the Falwell family (the founders of Liberty) are at polar opposites of the political spectrum.  Yet Carter is going to Liberty expectantly -- and Jerry Falwell Jr. is welcoming Carter warmly:
"...It is one of the greatest honors of my life to welcome President Carter [Falwell said in a press release]...I have tremendous respect for him as a statesman and a true Christian. While Christians may disagree about what role government should play in serving those in need...all Christians worldwide are united in the belief that we, as individuals, should provide food and shelter to the poor. President Carter...has followed the teachings of Christ by serving the poor and loving his neighbors. I am thrilled that he will be sharing the story of his life of faith in action...”  https://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=259608
Sure, this could just be PR hype to improve the Liberty or Carter 'brand. ' But a significant part of me believes, that both Falwell and Carter now realize, that we have no future, if we keep 'lobbing grenades at each other,' from our respective ideological camps.

And so:  where do you need to go beyond your bias, toward your opponent?

For the real Fake News is not purported by the media, but the Evil One, as the Evil One convinces us to believe the narrative of the world, the flesh, and the devil -- and not -- the narrative of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  

And how do we attune ourselves with that narrative?  Paul says it best in Roman 12:  

"...With eyes wide open to the mercies of God, I beg you, my brothers, as an act of intelligent worship, to give him your bodies, as a living sacrifice, consecrated to him and acceptable by him. Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould, but let God re-mould your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good, meets all his demands and moves towards the goal of true maturity..."  Romans 12:1-2, Phillips

That's how we move closer to truth, and away from lies; how we heighten Good News, minimizing Fake News.

We resist the relentless squeeze -- newly open -- to the trustworthy, molding hands of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment