Wednesday, May 30, 2018

What I Discovered Climbing Loudoun Heights


It was misty and rainy over Memorial Day, so I didn't get in my usual holiday hike.  But normally, I love to venture on some familiar, or new, trail.

My most recent major hike, was climbing Loudoun Heights, one of the two prime overlooks, peering down on Harpers Ferry.  Frankly, the other overlook, Maryland Heights, is the best of the two, in terms of views.  But Loudoun Heights is pretty impressive!

As I share my hiking adventures, I find many surprised.  In particular, some ask:  how do you do it?  I mean, for example, the Loudoun Heights hike is an 8.5 miles, over the rocky Appalachian Trail, rising 1,880 feet, taking about 4.5 hours, described by the National Park Service as a difficult trek. https://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/hikes.htm

And it is!  Not the most demanding adventure, for sure, but also, not a mere 'walk in the woods.'  

In all candor, as persons question:  how do you do it -- I ask myself:  how do I do it?  You see, I am not a naturally athletic person. And so I don't naturally exert myself, physically.

In fact:  I don't even like to sweat!!!   But sweat I do - in spite of my normal inclinations! 

Recently, it occurred to me, that one reason I exert myself, beyond my normal/natural range, is because of what I learn on my hikes.   And so I thought I would recount some of my most recent discoveries.

Learning #1 -  I Can Do More With Others, Than Alone.  A confession:  I probably could not have successfully climbed Loudoun Heights (or any other ascent), solo.  Though not 'Mt. Everest,' it was just challenging enough, that I probably would have become discouraged along the way, and turned back.  So, I value greatly 'the others' who accompanied me.

Hiking with others provides a number of resources:  1) Coaching on the best gear to wear and bring along.  My most recent discovery (MRD):  it's wise to wear a hat to ward off ticks; 2) Guidance on the best route to take, to avoid getting lost.  MRD: trail blazes are often hidden, tucked away, so you need to look intently; 3) Awareness of obstacles to anticipate, and hopefully avoid.  MRD: hydration creeps up on you, so drink even when not thirsty; and 4) Encouragement to keep going, no matter what.  MRD: everyone takes a turn stumbling, so expect it, and offer an uplifting word.

All this adds up to what Henry Cloud calls:  the 'power of the other.'  The classic tale that Cloud tells is of Bryce, who was completing the mandatory endurance swim, to become a Navy SEAL.  As Bryce was coming to the final leg of his swim, his body would go no more.  I mean, he was utterly exhausted, sinking in the cold water.  "Push as he would, strain as he would, his body and skills where failing him."  But just as he thought he was gone for sure, he looked to land and saw his buddy Mark.
"...[And as] Mark saw him...Mark gave him a huge fist pump and a yell, signaling to Bryce that 'he could do it.' Their eyes locked for a few seconds, and as Bryce described it, something happened.  Something beyond him.  His body jumped into another gear, into another dimension of performance that he had not been able to access before; he was able to get back on top of the cold water again and swim toward the finish line.  He made it.  He finished.  He would be a SEAL..." Henry Cloud.  The Power of the Other.  New York:  Harper Business, 2016, p. 5) 
As Henry Cloud concludes:  "...that is the "power of the other.'" Scripture agrees:  “…Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up…”  (Ephesians 4:9-10, emphasis added).

Learning #2 -- God Is Revealed, In Part, In Creation, Thus, Time In Creation, Can Be Holy and Healing.  A big disclaimer:  I am not a pantheist.  Translated:  I do not believe that creation/nature is God and should be worshipped.  But I do believe God chooses to disclose Himself - in part - in the natural realm, and ministers to us when we are in the midst of His creation.

Most are familiar with God's declaration that His creation is good (Genesis 1:4); in fact, very good (Genesis 1:31). In addition, is the declaration of the psalmist that the "...the heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.“ (Psalm 19:1). But in reality, the revealing, healing, teaching value of nature is throughout the Bible.  An often overlooked scripture is in Job 10:
“But ask the beasts, and they will teach you; the birds of the heavens, and they will tell you; or the bushes of the earth, and they will teach you; and the fish of the sea will declare to you. Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind."  (Job 10:11-12, emphasis added).

Thus, we should not be surprised, that as we immerse ourselves in the midst of God's creative realm, something holy, healing can occur, as God reveals Himself, in part, through this means.

A while back, Barbara Damrosch, itemized the healing benefits of yet another outdoor activity, gardening.
"...When you are gardening, you are outdoors, breathing fresh air and soaking up vitamin D from sunshine. You keep moving, to the benefit of both mind and body, with muscle-building jobs such as digging and meditative ones such as weeding. The companionship of birds, toads and other wild creatures is there for you to enjoy...Ever since penicillin was first crafted from a soil fungus, the earth has yielded up agents of healing...[In recent years] researchers at Northeastern University announced a newly tested antibiotic produced from a soil sample that kills resistant strains of staphylococcus and tuberculosis...The mind part of the health equation is equally promising...[as] researchers have been working on a soil microbe called Mycobacterium vaccae, which triggers mouse brains to produce serotonin and thereby acts as an antidepressant...Could gardeners’ grubby hands be absorbing homegrown Prozac...?" https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/savoring-that-earthy-smell/2015/04/22/b42c096e-e1f3-11e4-81ea-0649268f729e_story.html?utm_term=.69fb1c348e2e
Again, nature is not God, and, thus, not the ultimate healer. Only Jesus Christ finally heals.  Period. Yet, because God created Creation, it not unreasonable to conclude that God provides Creation, in part, to contribute, to the restoration of our lives. 

Learning #3 -- We Are Made For Risk And Adventure: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.  My Loudoun Height's hike began in a disconcerting way.  "It's tick season" my hiking buddies revealed.  "Better 'spray-up'" -- as in tick repellent.  And so I 'sprayed up' but, frankly, with a fair amount of trepidation.  I mean, who wants to get Lime Disease!  

But I ventured out, anyhow, finally concluding that any adventure is not without risk.  But in taking the risk, as a recent Church of the Brethren conference lifted-up, there is the potential of reward.  One reward, was discovering that Loudoun Heights is not only filled the beauty of God's creation, but also historical sites, which as a history enthusiast, rewarded me greatly, for my risk-taking.  

But it gets better:  not only is Loudoun Heights marked with history, but family history, marking the very location where my great, great uncle Walter Scott Myers was captured during the Civil War, on January 10, 1864, by the famed, Gray-Ghost, John S. Mosby.  Subsequently, Uncle Walter was shipped off to the infamous Andersonville prison (actually concentration camp) where he eventually died.  How do I know that?  Well, when my cousin Gary discovered I was hiking in the Harpers Ferry area, he shared with me Uncle Walter's story, which previously, I had not known. Frankly, Gary probably would have never volunteered that family-fact, if he had not heard of my outdoor adventures in the vicinity of Uncle Walter's plight.  

Such a family discovery is not the greatest gain; far from it.  But it is illustrative, of the surprising rewards that can result from risk and adventure.  

Learning #4 - I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me.  As noted previously, 'the power of the other' is pivotal and key; no doubt.  But earlier, I left out the most vital and decisive 'other' -- the Lord Jesus -- encourager and power, above all others.

And so, to be perfectly candid, the only way I ascended Loudoun Heights (or any other steep climb) was through Him. In fact, throughout my 8.5 mile, 1,880 feet trek, I kept muttering the same thing:  'I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me!'

As many know, this is a paraphrase of Philippians 4:13, best translated through the detail of The Amplified Bible:  
"...I can do all things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfill His purpose—I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace.]..."  (Philippians 4:13, The Amplified Bible, emphasis added).
Note Paul's resolute conviction:
  • I can.   
  • Do all things. 
  • To which I am called.   
  • Through Him. 
  • Who, strengthens, empowers. 
  • Me: self-sufficient, because of the sufficiency of Jesus.   
  • I am ready for anything -- equal to anything.   
  • Because Jesus infuses me with inner -- confident -- strength -- peace.
That's how I really got up Loudoun Heights!  And frankly, that's how you'll navigate your next uphill climb.   Through Him who provides strength...who does empower...equipping us to be ready, and equal, for anything!

And so what are you called to do?

Frankly, climbing Loudoun Heights is not God's summons for all persons; please hear this. But God is beckoning you to scale some next challenge (literally or figuratively).

And as God calls, God will transmit, His inward resolve and energy.

Walter John Matham's classic hymn text, instructs us...

"...Christ of the upward way, my Guide divine, Where Thou hast set Thy feet, may I place mine; And move and march wherever Thou hast trod, Keeping face forward up the hill of God. Give me the heart to hear Thy voice and will, That without fault or fear I may fulfill your purpose with a glad and holy zest, Like one who would not bring less than the best..."

No comments:

Post a Comment